- Essential Duties
New Hanover County is accepting applications for full-time firefighters, where selected applicants meeting the requirements for and successfully completing an assessment may be selected to fill current vacancies, or comprise an eligibility pool which will be used to fill future vacancies. Duties include protecting life and property by responding to emergencies, securing the scene, extinguishing the fire, salvaging structures and their contents, and providing basic emergency medical care. Other duties include performing maintenance of fire stations, conducting pre-plan fire inspections, and representing Fire Services to the public at various events.
New Hanover County Fire Rescue is comprised of a team of dedicated emergency response professionals who work to protect and educate citizens from the threats of fire and other emergencies. Our employees stay committed to the county’s model of good governance working 24 hours a day in eight (8) fire/rescue stations, protecting 220 square miles of the county. The department partners with Cape Fear Community College to sponsor internship students in the First Responder Academy and also offers a first class volunteer firefighter program. These programs provide opportunities for those wishing to volunteer their time or start their own career in the fire industry. Ideal candidates for this department combine the department’s values of honor, dedication, compassion, service and excellence with the county’s overarching shared values and vision of a vibrant, prosperous and diverse coastal community committed to building a sustainable future for generations to come.
New Hanover County strives to hire the best and the brightest employees who are committed to public service. Our employees enjoy an innovative, energetic and employee-focused work environment with top down support that embraces bottom up ideas and engagement. Our talented team of professionals have a passion for providing care and services that effect change on the everyday lives of the citizens they encounter. Our shared values of professionalism, innovation, integrity, stewardship and accountability guide the way we conduct ourselves and deliver services to our customers. If this sounds like an organization that models the values you uphold, we invite you to come and be a part of the exciting, healthy and progressive team at New Hanover County.
- Minimum Qualifications
High school diploma/GED and ability to successfully perform the duties of the position. Must have a valid NC Driver License and good driving record to begin employment. EMT Certification must be obtained within 1 year of employment.
- Required at application:
Certifications in the following areas are preferred:
- NC Driver’s License (if out of state, NC license must be obtained within 30 days)
- Firefighter accredited certification through IFSAC or Pro Board (NFPA 1001) or Firefighter II accredited certification through IFSAC or Pro Board (prior edition standard NFPA 1001);
- NC or National Registry EMT Certification (if National Registry, NC EMT certification must be obtained within 1 year);
- Technical Rescuer accredited certification through IFSAC or Pro Board (NFPA standard 1006, 2013 edition Chapters 5 & 6) or Technical Rescuer General accredited certification through IFSAC or Pro Board (NFPA standard 1006, 2008 edition) and Technical Rescuer Ropes accredited certification through IFSAC or Pro Board (NFPA standard 1006, 2008 edition;?
- Emergency Vehicle Driver accredited certification through IFSAC or Pro Board;
- Technical Rescuer Vehicle accredited certification through IFSAC or Pro Board (NFPA Chapter 10) or Technical Rescuer VMR accredited certification through IFSAC or Pro Board (NFPA standard 1006, 2008).
- Other Information
Hours: Rotating shifts – 24 hours on/24 hours off, 24 hours on/24 hours off, 24 hours on/96 hours off; from 7AM-7AM, including weekends and holidays.
Must be available to work in emergency situation and report per established department policies.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and live within 90 minutes of the county at time of employment.
Candidates referred to the department for consideration will be required to compete the Candidate Assessment Process. Assessments are scheduled for:
Successful candidates will comprise an eligibility pool which will be used to fill current or future vacancies throughout hte year or until exhausted.
- Physical Agility – 1/13/19
- Video Test – 1/17/19
- Panel Interviews – 2/14/19
After the closing date for this position applications will be screened by Human Resources. Applicants referred to the department will receive an e-mail with information concerning the Candidate Assessment Process. Please continue to monitor your e-mail for other communication pertinent to this position.
- New Hanover County
230 Government Center Drive – Suite 135
Wilmington, North Carolina, 28403