Page | 1
Title of Position: Firefighter I
Position Type: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Pay Range: (Grade 15) $34,307 to $53,604 annually
Hiring Range: $34,307 to $42,455 (DOQ)
Primary Work Location: Cornelius Fire Station(s)
Benefits: Competitive employee benefits package available
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, eligible candidates must submit the listed items either in-person, by mail, or online on or before the Closing Date.
1. Cover Letter
2. Town of Cornelius Employment Application
4. List of qualifications specifically addressing the required Education, Experience, KSA, and Special Requirements
Physical Address: Mailing Address: Website:
Town of Cornelius Human Resources Cornelius.org/jobs
21445 Catawba Avenue P.O. Box 399
Cornelius, NC 28031 Cornelius, NC 28031
Wednesday – September 30, 2020 at 5:00PM
For more information on the Town of Cornelius, including a full copy of the job description, visit our website at www.cornelius.org/jobs.
All applicants will receive an acknowledgement of their application approximately five (5) business days after the closing date. Those candidates selected for further consideration will be provided additional information regarding scheduling of written examination, physical agility test, background screening and interview. Candidates should be readily available throughout this process and must successfully complete and pass each step for continued consideration. We expect to complete the entire process by December 4, 2020. Page | 2
PURPOSE OF CLASS:
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of administrative and technical tasks and functions in support of fire suppression, fire prevention, hazardous materials, emergency medical and other emergency services as established by the State of North Carolina; performs related work as required.
PRIMARY TASKS: (Any one position may not include all of the tasks listed, nor do the examples necessarily include all of the tasks performed.)
- • Responds to emergency and non-emergency incidents.
- • Provides appropriate services as required including emergency rescue and fire suppression.
- • Performs search and rescue for trapped or injured persons.
- • Perform emergency medical and first aid services as needed.
- • Drives and/or operates numerous types of rescue, emergency and fire suppression equipment and apparatus as necessary.
- • Operates, inspects, repairs and performs other technical tasks related to maintaining the apparatus, equipment, and facilities in the area of assignment.
- • Participates in cleaning and maintaining facilities, grounds, equipment and apparatus, ensuring that appropriate conditions are maintained at assigned facility and that all equipment and apparatus are in a constant state of readiness for emergency calls.
- • Participates in a variety of fire prevention operations, activities and programs including training, fire investigations, code enforcement and equipment operation and maintenance.
- • Participates in activities and operations in response to natural disasters, major accidents, incidents involving hazardous materials, and other emergency situations.
- • Responds to a variety of hazardous materials incidents and performs defensive or offensive activities based on levels of certification in accordance with state and federal regulations.
- • Maintains knowledge, training and certifications regarding hazardous materials.
- • Studies street and occupancy locations in assigned areas including building plans and fire prevention systems in buildings.
- • Assists with transportation of patients to medical care facilities when required; evaluate the condition of patients and assess pertinent information about medical profile and injuries; determine treatment in accordance with EMT training; maintain contact with medical facility to prepare for patient arrival.
Page | 3
- • Participates in educational programs for various groups and general public pertaining to a variety of fire and life safety topics.
- • Prepares emergency medical incident reports regarding patient and incident information.
- • Performs inspection and maintenance of fire hydrants in accordance with Fire Department policy.
- • Performs other duties as required.
Various life-saving medical equipment, extrication equipment, hydraulic and power tools, fire apparatus, variety of hand tools, grounds maintenance tools and equipment, and other assigned equipment as required.
This position reports to the Deputy Town Manager.
Subject to normal hazards associated with fire and emergency operations work involving indoor and outdoor environments with regular exposure to significant personal risks including hazardous conditions and bloodborne pathogens.
QUALIFICATIONS OF CLASS:
- • Graduation from an accredited high school program or equivalent.
- • Completion of additional courses and seminars in various phases of fire and emergency services work preferred.
- • Some experience or training in or related to fire suppression, fire prevention, rescue and/or emergency operations is required.
- • Previous firefighter or EMT experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- • General knowledge of fire equipment maintenance techniques, procedures and mechanics as applied to fire suppression and pump operation.
- • Thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance of firefighting equipment and apparatus and ability to operate such equipment and apparatus safely and effectively.
- • General knowledge of principles and practices of emergency medical and technical rescue operations.
Page | 4
- • General knowledge of approved procedures and policies for hazardous or toxic materials storage, transport and clean up.
- • Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- • Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, Fire Department volunteers and the general public.
- • Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, overtime and 24-hour shifts as assigned.
- • Must be at least 21 years of age at time of application.
- • Must have no felony convictions or disqualifying criminal history.
- • If previous Military Service, applicant must provide service-related documents.
- • Must meet the medical requirements set forth in NFPA 1582. That means firefighters must have the agility and physical strength to do prolonged and arduous work under adverse conditions.
- • North Carolina Firefighter Certification or equivalent certification recognized by IFSAC or Pro-Board.
- • North Carolina EMT-Basic Certification or equivalent out of state licenses/certifications or National Registry eligible for legal recognition in North Carolina, or the ability to obtain within 12 months of hire.
- • Possession of a valid driver’s license (minimum). Must be able to obtain valid North Carolina driver’s license within 30 days of hire.
- • Ability to successfully complete a physical agility test (annual recertification required).
- • North Carolina Emergency Vehicle Driver Certificate (or equivalent out-of-state license) or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- • North Carolina Class B license or CDL (or equivalent out-of-state license) or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- • Ability to successfully complete a swim test for emergency rescue/first responders within 3 months of hire.
The Town of Cornelius is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
SPECIAL NOTE: This generic class specification gives a sound overview of the job class, its essential functions, and necessary job requirements. Job duties and assignments are subject to change based on the business needs of the Department. These documents should be reviewed before initiating a selection process. They can provide additional detailed information on which to base various personnel actions and can assist management in making legal and defensible personnel decisions.