TOWN OF MATTHEWS DEPUTY FIRE CHIEF
The Town of Matthews, NC seeks a Deputy Chief for the Fire & EMS department who is a passionate fire
safety expert and a true servant leader with the skills to inspire staff to outstanding performance, while
supporting the Chief and department in meeting strategic objectives. The Deputy Chief is a newly created
position that will serve as the Operations Chief, overseeing company operations and community risk reduction
efforts, and participating in the overall administration of the department.
The Town of Matthews is located in Mecklenburg County, adjacent to Charlotte and four surrounding towns in
Mecklenburg and Union Counties. Ours is among the fastest growing regions in the country. Matthews covers
17 square miles and has a population of almost 34,000. Matthews is home to Harris-Teeter, Family Dollar,
Central Piedmont CC’s Levine campus, and Novant Matthews Medical Center. Major expansions to our road
network, freeways, and Charlotte Transit’s Light rail are planned. Matthews’ historic downtown area offers a
welcoming destination for citizens and visitors to gather or to enjoy civic events throughout the year.
To learn more about the community, click here.
About the Department
Matthews Fire & EMS is a fast-growing department which provides fire, EMS first responder / rescue, and
community risk reduction efforts to the Town of Matthews and the surrounding community. In FY21 the
department responded to over 3400 incidents. The department traces its roots back to the Matthews-
Morningstar VFD (1954) and Matthews Rescue and EMS (1991), becoming a municipal department in 2008. In
2019, the department earned an ISO Class 2 rating through NCDOI. The Town’s annual budget for Fire & EMS
services for FY22 is $3.1 million.
Matthews is a combination department comprised of 27 career and more than 50 volunteer members, ranging
from recruits to stipend-eligible certified firefighters and EMTs, and Fire Corps members. Matthews utilizes a
‘Blended Staffing’ model whereby career and certified volunteers work side-by-side daily. The department is
committed to the individual growth of our members, offering a robust training program which includes initial
and advanced certification courses, and a wide array of career development opportunities for our members. In
FY21 members logged more than 10,000 hours of training.
The department operates 5 pieces of suppression apparatus and EMS squad units from two stations. A new
heavy rescue is on order and station 3 is in the planning stages. Our goal is to staff two suppression companies
and an EMS Squad daily, and to arrive at all incidents with appropriate initial staffing and resources within 7
minutes. In FY21 we met this goal for 89% of all incidents in the Town of Matthews.
For more information about Matthews Fire and EMS, please visit:
Position description and responsibilities:
Under administrative direction of the Fire & EMS Chief, the Deputy Chief assists in planning, directing, managing, and overseeing day-to-day activities and operations of the Fire Department including fire suppression, fire prevention, emergency medical services, hazardous materials response, disaster preparedness, and related programs, services, and operations. The Deputy Chief will be highly engaged in strategic planning and supporting all staff to reach stated goals. In addition to providing highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Fire Chief, the Deputy Chief will coordinate assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies. Six company officers will report directly to the Operations Deputy Chief.
The ideal candidate for this position possesses excellent interpersonal skills, a highly developed knowledge of emergency service delivery and program evaluation, experience with strategic planning and goal setting, the ability to set and meet deadlines, the ability to multitask, and experience leading a dedicated and diverse workforce.
• An associate’s degree (bachelor’s preferred) in a fire or emergency management-related professional
or technical field is required.
• Minimum of two years of experience as a full-time/career Captain/Lieutenant/Company Officer or
o NIMS ICS or a NFA course meeting NIMS ICS (100, 200, 700 & 800).
o NIMS ICS -300 Intermediate and NIMS ICS-400 Advanced.
o NC or National Registry EMT certification.
o Fire Officer I and II, NC Chief 101
o NC Fire Instructor II (preferred).
• Must possess and maintain a valid state driver’s license with an acceptable driving history.
The successful candidate:
• demonstrates excellence in operations management; is strategic in assessing needs and changes in Town and adapting plans, technology and staffing as needed to meet the safety needs of the community;
• experienced in complex planning, project management and administrative support to the Fire Chief in the development and implementation of a comprehensive, strategic fire program to meet strategic goals;
• fosters cooperative working relationships among staff members and emphasizes positive customer relations approaches with citizens, vendors/suppliers, and those conducting business with The Town of Matthews;
• understands volunteer departments and can work to support the blending of career and volunteer professional cultures;
• coaches and holds employees accountable to conduct their work and activities in a manner that embraces the Town’s values; utilize the performance appraisals as a guide to an employee’s success;
• has a proven track record in policy development and consistency of application;
• eliminates silos and seeks commonality across functions intra-departmentally and works effectively interdepartmentally to build relationships in service to public safety goals with a proven track record in building and maintaining morale through effective team building, advocacy, and consistency of policy application;
• expertly uses data and metrics to propose solutions and make decisions;
• maintains knowledge of best practices in fire safety and emergency management through continuing education to include appreciation and understanding of technology;
• communicates excellently both verbally and in writing and possesses well-developed interpersonal skills and abilities; and,
• thrives in a culture of high-performance expectations and personal accountability and has a track record of developing the same departmental standards as a highly accomplished fire service leader.
Salary and Benefits:
The full salary range is $66,076 to $102,420 and starting salary will depend on experience and qualifications. The Town provides an excellent benefits package. The Town of Matthews offers a complete benefits package, including LGERS retirement, 401k, health and dental insurance, health reimbursement account, flexible benefits options, A&S coverage, and a competitive salary.
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the Deputy Fire Chief – Matthews link. To learn more about the selection process, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser: https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/). All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the Town portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Applicants should apply by October 12, 2021. Finalists will participate in virtual skill assessments on November 16-17, 2021. Interviews with the Fire Chief and leadership team will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. The Town of Matthews is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Developmental Associates, LLC is managing the recruitment and selection process for this position.